Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hey Everyone...
          I called MUSC on Tuesday morning because Parker's steri strips on his incision were still holding on for dear life, and had not fallen off since his surgery.  One of Parker's nurses on Seven-C told me that I would need to get them off myself since they should have long been off on their own.  I have to be honest...this was not something I was looking forward to.  "Dread" is the first word that comes to my mind.  Parker's nurse let me know that they made a group decision to have me give him his first "real bath".  I say this because Parker has only had sits baths since his surgery.  Until now they were very concerned about any dirty water near his incision that would cause any type of infection.  Still yet another thing that made me very nervous!  Parker's nurse asked that I soak him in a warm, yet soapy bath to loosen his steri stips.  They reassured me that this would loosen them up enough to not pull so much when they came off.  So... it really took me until last night to get the nerve up to pull them off myself.  Remember they told me this Tuesday and last night was Saturday.  Yeh!  But I was "working" last week...give a mom a break!  Procrastination.....I know.   Without another day sliding by, I decided that it's now or never.  And  boy were they Nasty!  Since Parker has been drooling so much lately it had caused his strips to adhere even more.  Not fun for mom!  But at times like these you do what you have to, grin and bare it!  Parker did really well!  He really likes being in the water!  And just as they had reassured me, the good ole soapy water did the trick!  After about twenty minutes they were all off!  They did pull a good bit, but not enough for me to not want to do it without any assistance!  As you can see Parker's incision looks great!  We have another follow-up appointment with the cardiologist on Friday.  Also we will be at the pediatrician for yet another shot!  But after conquering open heart surgery at 3 months of age...Parker says "What's a little shot....bring it on!"  Yeah right!  You all know that shots are no fun, so please say a little prayer for our little man on Friday.  And...Parker's heart friend Derrick did great through his open heart surgery last Monday and is continuing to recover with each passing day.  Please remember to keep Derrick and his family in your prayers as well!  We love you all and will post more pictures as we continue our journey! 
Love In Christ,
T he Crafts

1 comment:

  1. Hey Willis & Amy,
    Just checking in to see how the "little man" is doing! I saw his Grandpa today and asked about him...he is so adorable and I'm not talking about Steve!!! LOL It's so funny that after surgery steri-strips are the things that Graham HATES most or anything tape-related. Oh well, if that's mostly what he complains about I guess that's not bad. I'm so glad that Parker is doing so well. He is a beautiful little boy and truly a blessing from God. I'll keep checking back but glad to see such good reports.
    Love,
    Malissa Smith

    ReplyDelete